The full transition to Sailfish OS 2.0 is here!
The new Sailfish OS update, Saimaa (named after the largest lake in Finland), is now available for all Jolla users! Less than 2 weeks ago, this update was made available as an early access release for more advanced users. If you’re interested in joining this group, read more here.
This update Saimaa, with version number 2.0.0, completes the transition to Sailfish OS 2.0. Our previous release 1.1.9 (Eineheminlampi) introduced the reborn Sailfish OS user interface to you. Thank you for your valuable feedback on the 1.1.9 release, which helps us bring many improved features and fixes in this 2.0.0 release, and completes the progression towards Sailfish OS 2.0. Our work is by no means done, and we’ll continue to provide regular updates to you, our dear users.
Please note that before you can upgrade from 1.1.9 to 2.0.0, you will receive an update notification to install 18.104.22.168 as an intermediate step to improve reliability of the update process.
Highlights of Saimaa 2.0.0 Release:
- Android Support: Several fixes to improve the initialization of some Android apps
- Alarm clock: Alarms are working again even if the phone has been turned off (when the battery is not empty)
- Ambiences: The Other Half (TOH) tones are freely selectable for any ambience after installation of TOH package
- Browser: Memory savings in cases where display is turned off while playing a video clip with the browser
- Clock: New cover design
- Connectivity: WLAN network scanning improved
- Exchange: Improved the reliability of email updating
- Pulley menu in “Outbox” has now options “Send” or “Send all” instead of “Update”
- Events view:
- You can now pick your favorite settings shortcuts to be shown in the Events view of the Jolla phone
- Perform your favorite actions directly from the Jolla phone’s Events view, e.g. search the web, take a photo, or add a reminder
- Facebook notifications and recent Twitter tweets are back in Events
- Gallery: Split view is collapsed when video playback starts, i.e. playback in full screen
- Home: New system dialog style
- HW adaptation & kernel:
- Graphics performance of tablet improved
- Touch recognition on tablet made to start faster
- CPU governor tuned up for UI fluidity and power saving
- Localisation: Improvements to the translations of several UI texts
- Office: Possible to make searches in PDF documents
- USSD push messages are now shown, allowing the user of prepaid SIM’s to follow the costs, for instance
- Fixed the issue of making calls to exceptionally long phone numbers
- Dismissing call should now work more reliably
- Settings: Stability and usability of the new Settings app improved
- Android support: a media server vulnerability (Stagefright2 CVE-2015-3842) fixed
- Stagefright vulnerabilities (CVE-2015-1538, CVE-2015-1539, CVE-2015-3824, CVE-2015-3826, CVE-2015-3827, CVE-2015-3828, CVE-2015-3829) fixed
- UI elements: Sizes of objects (buttons, text fields, font sizes, etc.) and alignments refined in several places
- Some glitches in the playback of recorded videos eliminated
- Gstreamer: playing AIFF format fixed, support for playing OPUS format added
- Gstreamer: a regression in RTSP stream playback fixed; makes Y-Radio (a harbour app) work again
- 1080p video recording implemented for tablet
For upgrading instructions, release notes and more detailed changelog, please see this TJC post. Please also report any issues you encounter to the TJC post.
Enjoy the full Sailfish OS 2.0 experience with this update!